Sunday, April 22, 2012

Candlelight Easter Vigil at a Greek Orthodox Church- A Poem

As mentioned in my latest post, I had the wonderful opportunity last weekend to attend an Easter vigil at a Greek Orthodox church. And, for my poetry writing class, I ended up writing a poem about it. I thought I would share it here, and that someone may appreciate it. So, here it is.


Candlelight Easter Vigil at a Greek Orthodox Church

Christ gazes down on me,
an icon on the domed ceiling
and the room goes dark,
like His tomb.

The gathered saints hold candles,
illuminating their worship,
reflecting from the angelic
robes of the priests.

A chant echoes prayerfully:
“Kyrie eleison,
Christe eleison”
Lord have mercy,
Christ have mercy.

I smell the rose petals and
bay leaves, strewn across
the floor, left over from
a ritual this morning


The scent of melting beeswax
mingles with the incense smoke
as it floats, with a blessing
toward the believers.

This place smells like
it is truly a house of prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment