Sunday, August 7, 2011

Growing Up is Wierd

One of the most amazing things in life is the experience of growing up. Seeing how much we, and the people around us, have grown and changed, is awe inspiring. But it is also strange, and a bit disorienting.

The most striking examples of such astounding growth in my own life are my oldest friends, Libby, Lena, and Katy. We met when we were in sixth grade. When I shyly sat next to them at lunch for the first time, there was no way I could have imagined that 9 years later we would be best friends. It is mind boggling to think of how much we have changed since then.

I remember when Libby and Lena were quiet, shy and had few friends.
I remember when Katy was an awkward, overweight, reclusive child.
I remember when I was an oversensitive, socially inept, extremely shy girl who did not know how to make friends.

But now we have changed. The years have passed, and we have grown tremendously...
Libby has become a dramatic and endlessly conversational butterfly.
Now Lena has grown to be a sensitive, imaginative, friendly individual.
Katy is now a beautiful, funny, and brilliant philosopher.
I have matured into to an energetic, outgoing, artist who can- and does- make friends with everybody.

But as much as we have changed, it is also remarkable to think about how we still have many of the same characteristics that we once had, and how our early struggles led to our current success.

Libby and Lena's quiet nature has allowed them to become exceptional listeners. They keep their friends close, and are there for them no matter what. And they have grown in creativity as a result of living in their imaginations all their lives.
Katy's tendency to isolate herself from other people has played an integral role in her intellectual growth, and has encouraged her strong independence. Because of  her previous low self image and social awareness, Katy had come to value her beauty and relationships.
I, too, highly value my friendships, as a result of having so few when I was young. And what used to be painfully heightened sensitivity has grown into empathy and a deep care for other people.

Remembering who we used to be, and seeing how far we have come, is mind blowing. And it is almost disconcerting to see how far we have come from where we had been.

Yet, as uncanny as the dramatic changes in our personalities are, the fact that we are still ourselves is reassuring.  And I am indescribably comforted by the knowledge that we will always be there for each other.

1 comment: