Saturday, August 6, 2011

Topaz and Bronze

In my search for a cool blog name, I decided to turn to one of my favorite things. The Bible.
See my next post for a description of why exactly it is so awesome (you may be surprised by what I have to say).

The section of the text that I would like to describe is a vision that is seen by the prophet daniel, after he has intensely prayed and fasted for his nation, which it is about to be devastated by war.

"On the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was standing on the bank of the great river... I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a belt of fine gold from... around his waist. His body was like topaz, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude. "

The identity of the man shown in this terrifying vision is pretty well debated by scholars. One theory is that this is an appearance of Christ. But whatever the case, it is a pretty intense scene.

Regardless of the meaning, I am always awestruck by this description. I am reminded by the majesty of this scene of the magnificence of the world we live in; as amazing as what we see around us is, there is so much that we are unaware of. Life is full of things that we know, and many things we are yet to discover.
But no matter how much I do or do not understand, there is one thing I do know...

Life is glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment